Word, Doc2Help, and an Index

Subject: Word, Doc2Help, and an Index
From: Dan Glovier <Mailbox!tsh!dan -at- MCS -dot- NET>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 1995 17:58:37 -0600

Greetings,

I am pretty confused right now. I am trying to crank out the index for a Word
6 file that a colleague created using Doc-To-Help 1.6. This file is about 70
pages
long, includes graphics, and has about 130 index entries. When initiated, it
starts
to do its thing, but then it completely slows down after 4 or 5 index entries
have been processed. It then decides that it's tired and I receive that fun
"Word has insufficient memory, you will not be able to undo" error message.
After
a few of these (it takes 2 hours or so), the system then informs me that my
system
is "Out of memory while indexing." Crud. (BTW, I checked my colleague's work,
and
it appears to me that she has properly entered her index tags. I removed all but
two tags, and it ran successfully, albeit *very* slowly.)

Has anyone used the Doc-To-Help indexing feature? If so, how long did it take
you
to produce yours? I have contacted Doc-To-Help, and I will probably receive an
impersonal fax with suggestions. I'm curious to find out what is considered the
normal time span for processing an index with this tool.

Thanks for reading,

Dan Glovier
dan -at- tsh -dot- com