Re: What to call us

Subject: Re: What to call us
From: Laurie Rubin <lmr -at- SYL -dot- NJ -dot- NEC -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 1995 14:41:52 -0400

Not true that ALL engineers require licensing! My husband is an E.E. with 16
years experience, and
has never had the need to be licensed to call himself an excellent electronics
engineer (at least in NJ). Furthermore, he has been in the job
market 5 times
in the last 11 years (small cos. with short-lived R&D), and never once has
he been turned down for an interview because he does
not have P.E. after his name, nor has the question ever come up in interviews.
He feels that licensing may be useful for
government contracts, but since he goes for the challenge of working in small
companies, no one seems to care about the licensing -- except maybe other
engineers in other states...

By the way, certification has nothing to do with competency. It has to do
with how well you can prepare and take a test!! Performance is the only true
measurement for competency.
Laurie