Re: salary history?

Subject: Re: salary history?
From: Robert Plamondon <robert -at- PLAMONDON -dot- COM>
Date: Sat, 10 Jun 1995 13:33:27 PDT

>> Only those resumes that include salary history will be considered.

>Can someone please explain exactly what is meant by the above. I
>would be curious to see a sample response. (Fictious figures are
>fine)

I would never disclose my current salary (let alone a historical
breakdown) at the resume-submitting stage. That's a final-negotiation
item. Nor would I put it on an employment application. Salary
negotiation is a serious business -- not something to be cast away
just because someone left a blank on an application.

I would call up the person who posted the job listing in the first
place and ask what the job paid. THEN I'd ask if the salary history
requirement was mandatory. If the answer was "yes," then I'd
reply, "Well, I'm going to put the number you gave me as my current
salary, to satisfy the formalities."

-- Robert