Re: Semantics

Subject: Re: Semantics
From: Robert Plamondon <robert -at- PLAMONDON -dot- COM>
Date: Sun, 11 Jun 1995 09:17:55 PDT

> While eradicating the words does not change the attitudes, at least it
> helps prevent spreading of harmful attitudes. As technical
> communicators, we have the power to lead the way.

It's been a long time since I read Orwell's "1984," but wasn't that
what the protaganist did for a living? Implementing Newspeak, eradicating
words, and working diligently toward the goal of limiting the range
of human thought by limiting the range of vocabulary?

Anyway, I have no faith that technical communicators have the power
the unity, or the moral superiority to "lead the way" into a brave
new world.

-- Robert