Re: Semantics

Subject: Re: Semantics
From: Karen Mayer <Karen_Mayer -dot- TOUCH_TECHNOLOGY -at- NOTES -dot- COMPUSERVE -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 1995 13:55:49 EDT

From: Sharon Rosenthal/MANUGISTICS
<Sharon_Rosenthal -at- manu -dot- com>
Comments: To: TECHWR-L <TECHWR-L -at- VM1 -dot- UCC -dot- OKSTATE -dot- EDU>
To: Multiple recipients of list TECHWR-L <TECHWR-L -at- VM1 -dot- ucc -dot- okstate -dot- edu>

I have been following the discussion of words that offend and whose fault is
it
anyway. Arlen (and others) is right: it is not the words that hurt us.
But it is that attitudes that hurt us. I am offended by people's
insensitive comments on gender, religion, race, and enthicity because it
reveals their underlying attitudes about certain groups of people.

While eradicating the words does not change the attitudes, at least it
helps prevent spreading of harmful attitudes. As technical communicators,
we have the power to lead the way.

Sharon Rosenthal
Senior Technical Writer
Manugistics, Inc.
sharon rosenthal -at- manu -dot- com

**************************

I understand your point, but I disagree. It is not the insensitivity of
others that offends us. We *choose* to be offended by their words and
attitudes.

As technical communicators we can only attempt to choose neutral language
that will have less of a chance of offending people. Each reader will
react differently, and we have little control over that.

Because of my background and my attitudes, I choose to be offended by
racial and sexual slurs, while other people may not. If someone were to
call me a @#*$&!! I could choose not to care or I could get really angry.
My decision gives the words and their wielder power over me or it strips
them of it. I'm the one who decides. We have to take responsibility for
our feelings and our behavior.

The attitudes of others are none of my business but when their *actions*
interfere with my life, liberty or pursuit of happiness, that's
different. If I get mad at what Mr. X says to me (because of his
attitudes), it's my problem, not his. If he tried to keep me from getting
a job (because of his attitudes), I'd make sure it was his problem!

With regards to the spreading of harmful attitudes, I'd have to ask what
you consider harmful? Is my attitude harmful? My job as a technical
writer gives me little opportunity to prevent or encourage the
propagation of any attitudes, "good" or "bad." I'm supposed to be
presenting the facts. Of course, my attitude about the product or
audience *could* come out in my writing if I let it. But that's not my
job.