Re: Semantics

Subject: Re: Semantics
From: Sharon Rosenthal/MANUGISTICS <manu!manu -dot- com!Sharon_Rosenthal -at- UUNET -dot- UU -dot- NET>
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 1995 09:30:35 EDT

I have been following the discussion of words that offend and whose fault is it
anyway. Arlen (and others) is right: it is not the words that hurt us. But
it is that attitudes that hurt us. I am offended by people's insensitive
comments on gender, religion, race, and enthicity because it reveals their
underlying attitudes about certain groups of people.

While eradicating the words does not change the attitudes, at least it helps
prevent spreading of harmful attitudes. As technical communicators, we have
the power to lead the way.

Sharon Rosenthal
Senior Technical Writer
Manugistics, Inc.