OED and net-accessible dictionaries

Subject: OED and net-accessible dictionaries
From: Chet Ensign <Chet_Ensign%LDS -at- NOTES -dot- WORLDCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 1995 09:14:15 EDT

One comment about the idea of a net-accessed dictionary; The OED was handled as
an SGML data structure. Well, not formal SGML -- they never actually created a
Document Type Definition for it. But the information was encoded in a formal
element-based markup scheme and, as a result, could be maintained and
manipulated by automated programs. They said that the volume of entries made it
impossible to do it any other way.

What this means is that a Web-version of the OED (or any other dictionary done
following the same approach) would actually be a reasonably easy system to set
up. I wonder if anyone with access to such data has thought about it.

/chet

---
Chet Ensign
Director of Electronic Publishing
Logical Design Solutions
571 Central Avenue http://www.lds.com
Murray Hill, NJ 07974 censign -at- lds -dot- com [email]
908-771-9221 [Phone] 908-771-0430 [FAX]