Re: Syquest vs CD-ROM?

Subject: Re: Syquest vs CD-ROM?
From: "Arlen P. Walker" <Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- JCI -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 1 May 1995 13:26:00 -0600

A colleague suggests that CD systems are a dying art (just as they get
affordable) and that Syquest systems will replace them. Currently, I
don't see that happening. A lot more employers, I would guess, have
CD drives on their computers than have Syquest drives.

Syquest is the dying system. Their reliability and long-term retention problems
have already killed them here, and I suspect the falling prices of magneto-
optical will finish the job elsewhere soon.

CD is still robust, and the coming affordability of CD-R systems will ensure
that they also stay around for a while, for the data you don't want to risk
losing.

If I'm betting on long-term horses, I'll take CD and MO (and perhaps even
Iomega's new Zip drives, but the reliability jury is still out on them) over
Sysquest any day of the week and twice on Sundays.

Have fun,
Arlen
DNRC 124