Syquest vs CD-ROM?

Subject: Syquest vs CD-ROM?
From: Charles Sides <csides -at- FSCVAX -dot- FSC -dot- MASS -dot- EDU>
Date: Mon, 1 May 1995 12:50:12 EDT

As chair of an academic department which includes technical communications
and multimedia programs/majors, one of the challenges is staying as much
abreast of rapidly changing, expensive technology as limited state
funding will allow. So I am seeking your advice.

In the next year's funding cycle, I will be able either to purchase a
CD Recorder or additional Syquest drives & removable cartridges (we
have one of these already). The intended use of this technology is
to allow students to create portfolio-quality materials from their
courses in multimedia design and technical documentation. Film, TV,
graphics, and photography majors will undoubtedly seek access to this
as soon as they hear about it.

A colleague suggests that CD systems are a dying art (just as they get
affordable) and that Syquest systems will replace them. Currently, I
don't see that happening. A lot more employers, I would guess, have
CD drives on their computers than have Syquest drives.

So . . . what do you think?

Thanks in advance.

Charles H. Sides
Fitchburg State College