Literature References on Why Manuals Do Not Work

Subject: Literature References on Why Manuals Do Not Work
From: Sushil Oswal <oswal -at- KNUTH -dot- MTSU -dot- EDU>
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 1995 13:48:40 -0500

{I will appreciate your response to my personal address (not the list)
at: oswal -at- frank -dot- mtsu -dot- edu to the following inquiry:

I am writing an article for a scientific journal (actually a guest
editorial) dealing with the question, "Why don't most of user manual do
not work?" The reasons are numerous--the engineers do not test{their own
writing, do not test their products, the technical writers do not study
the product adequately, etc.. Could you give me complete references on
the articles you might have come across (complete references or copies of
the articles will be highly appreciated)?

I will also welcome references on two of your favorite articles on how to
improve the quality of user manuals.

For sending copies of articles, you can use my fax (615) 898-5098 ATTN:
Sushil Oswal

or my mailing address: Dr. Sushil Oswal
Campus Box 70 MTSU
Murfreesboro, TN 37132