Re: step formating

Subject: Re: step formating
From: "Susan W. Gallagher" <sgallagher -at- STARBASECORP -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 1995 15:42:12 -0700

Kelly Kremin wonders...

> When you are instructing in a user guide filled with multi-step
> procedures, what are the prefered methods for formating a one step
> process?

> For example, to perform one task with this product all one needs to do
> is press Q on the keyboard.

A step is a step is a step -- and just because a procedure
only has one step, that's no reason to short-change the
reader by hiding the procedure in paragraph text. %-)

I always format one-step procedures exactly the same way
as multi-step procedures, but I leave off the number --
so, a page full of procedures might look like this...

To get your manager mad:

Press Q.

To get your manager mad and survive:

1. Press Q.

2. Run like H***.

It's a consistency issue *and* a clarity issue, I think.

Sue Gallagher
StarBase Corp, Irvine CA
sgallagher -at- starbasecorp -dot- com