Eyeburn

Subject: Eyeburn
From: Robert Phillips <robp -at- SYDNEY -dot- DIALIX -dot- OZ -dot- AU>
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 1995 21:38:33 +1000

In a two or three postings yesterday people mentioned the problem of
eyeburn. For what it is worth, here are a few observations (wearing my
Physiologist's hat):

A common cause is changes in the your air conditioning - if you are
sitting in a new position or the system has been serviced recently, you
may have air blowing on your face that wasnt blowing there before. This
is a transient problem and you will adapt to it in a day or so.

If you are doing a lot of graphics work or editing with a number of
documents open, you may be tending to staring at the screen and,
literally, not blinking as often as usual. This causes the eyeballs to
get a bit dry and hence sore. Again, goes away in a couple of days.

Both of these type of causes can be helped by obtaining a product from the
Chemist/Drug store which is known as artificial tears - its a high
liquid with a high surface tension; put one or two drops in each eye
and the fluid stays around the eyeballs and keeps them moist in the
adverse conditions.

A third cause is overwork - you are a bit behind on your sleep and hence
tending to stare at the screen rather than being relaxed. I do not
recommend the drops here because the sore eyes will make you quit
sooner, go to bed earlier and do a better job the next day. (Whose
mother go into my mail?)

If none of the above apply, then:
a) take two aspirin and call me in the morning or
b) blink twice and carry on or
c) follow the original advice and pay the money to see your doctor.

(In case anyone is confused: a Physiologist is not a medical
practitioner and is not allowed to prescribe anything. Put my advice
in the same category as that given by your grandmother and act
accordingly!)

Bye.

Rob Phillips
Lasotell Pty Ltd Internet: robp -at- sydney -dot- dialix -dot- oz -dot- au
PO Box 97 Phone: +61-2-4895016
Wahroonga NSW 2076
AUSTRALIA STICK: n, a boomerang that wont work