A Font By Any Other Name...

Subject: A Font By Any Other Name...
From: Kelly Burhenne <burhennk -at- SMTPGW -dot- LIEBERT -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 1995 14:33:35 EST

Text item: Text_1

This recent thread about serif/sans serif started me thinking about
where the names for some of these fonts originate.

I believe serif is a generic term that encompasses many fonts.
If my rusty french serves me correctly, sans means "without";
therefore, sans serif would mean type without the fine lines finishing
off the main strokes of a letter (e.g., Arial, Helvetica--correct??)

So what about the weird font names like Zapf Dingbats, TrumpetLite,
Thunderbird, etc. (did you know P.T. Barnum has his own font!)
Just curious as to who comes up with these names!

-Kelly Burhenne
burhennk -at- liebert -dot- com