Results--Degree question!

Subject: Results--Degree question!
From: Kelly Burhenne <burhennk -at- SMTPGW -dot- LIEBERT -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 1995 12:04:10 EST

Text item: Text_1

Well folks, the results of my "What would you get your degree in"
question are staggering. I knew we had a diverse group here, but my
goodness! I never expected that the answers would vary so much! The
reason I asked is for my own personal knowledge. I'm trying to figure
the best career path to take (I'm still young!)hahaha Thanks so much
for answering, your responses have given me a lot to think about. Any
further comments or advice are welcome.

So, here are the responses (with the number of votes received in
parentheses):

Computer Science (4)
Law!! (3)
Technical Writing (2) (only 2!!!)
Engineering (2)
Business (2)
English (2)
Technical Journalism
Technical Communication
Cognitive Science
Instructional Design
Artificial Intelligence
TESL (teaching English second language)
Foreign Language
Industrial Technology
Education
MIS (management information systems)
CIS
Information Science
Information Systems
Chemistry
Accounting!
International/Intercultural Communication
Jazz Therapy/Ethnomusicology!
Woodworking!
Medical Doctor!

Your thoughts on the actual value of a college education were very
interesting. My personal opinion is that many self-taught people know just
as much about a subject as those with a degree. However, when interviewing
with a prospective employer, s/he has no way to verify your self-taught
knowledge. A degree is simply verification that you know as much as you say
you do. However, that is not my sole reason for wanting to go back to
school. I think it will be FUN!

Right now, I'm thinking along the lines of Computer Science/English. But
then again, woodworking and jazz therapy sound very enticing!

Thanks so much for all the replies. Your opinions are highly respected!

-Kelly Burhenne
burhennk -at- liebert -dot- com
Columbus, OH