Re: Long Software Processes

Subject: Re: Long Software Processes
From: Lori Lathrop <76620 -dot- 456 -at- COMPUSERVE -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 1995 09:31:13 EDT

George Hayhoe (INTERNET:george -dot- hayhoe -at- SRS -dot- GOV) said:

<snip>
> Several folks have suggested that the message provide the user with an
> estimate of the time required to perform the process. On the surface,
> this sounds like a great idea, but I'd offer the caution that such
> estimates will differ wildly depending on the user's processor type,
> processor speed, disk drive type, and disk drive speed (among other
> factors). And since folks like us are likely to have more powerful
> computers than at least some of the software users, we could seriously
> mislead people about the time required for certain processes to run.
<snip>

Yup ... good point! And here's a radical thought: this should *not*
be a documentation problem. It *should* be a development problem.

The software should show users how much of the installation process
is done; that way, users can gauge for themselves how long the whole
installation is likely to take. For example, I know I've seen some
installation programs that display a graphic that looks something like
a thermometer rising to the top (similar to the graphic displayed when
you format diskettes) as the installation process proceeds. Even a
simple screen message, from time to time, that says something like
"Installation process is 18% complete" would be helpful.

TTFN .... Lori Lathrop (feeling radical!) -->76620 -dot- 456 -at- compuserve -dot- com
Lathrop Media Services, P.O. Box 808, Georgetown, CO 80444
Phone: 303-567-4011