Re: QUERY: vertical text

Subject: Re: QUERY: vertical text
From: Marilynne Smith <m -dot- smith182 -at- GENIE -dot- GEIS -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 1995 16:49:00 UTC

>> which way should vertical text run?

I use two conventions:

Inside the book, I run vertical text from bottom to top. This causes the
the reader to rotate the book and read from the spine to the edge of the
page. I think you will find this is the most common convention for vertical
pages.

To determine how to place text on the spine of the book, place the book flat
on the desk with the front cover facing upwards. Rotate the book so the
spine faces you. You should be able to read the spine in this position.
(The text is going from top to bottom.) Again, look in the bookstore. See
how annoyed you are with titles that are going against this convention.

When not admiring other people's work in the bookstore, I use the Chicago
Manual of Style for most of my style issues. A second reference is the
Government Printing Office Style Manual, which is a very practical reference.

Back to the issue of vertical pages, I would avoid them whenever possible.
Now that we use computers to set up our pages there are usually better
solutions. Also ask yourself if you are trying to put too much information
in one spot.

Good luck.

Marilynne
m -dot- smith182 -at- genie -dot- geis -dot- com