Re: Preferring STC Member

Subject: Re: Preferring STC Member
From: Marilynne Smith <m -dot- smith182 -at- GENIE -dot- GEIS -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 1995 23:07:00 UTC

>> when I was in job search mode. . . I could not/would not shell out
>> the precious $ for membership

When I am looking for work, STC is my biggest supporter. Jobs are announced
at STC meetings *before* they hit the newspaper, sometimes *instead* of
hitting the newspaper. STCers will help you with leads on jobs *before* the
vacancy is known to HR. The STC job letters are great sources. The
recommendation of an STCer who knows you and who will vouch for you to their
employer is priceless. The notation on your resume that you belong to STC
may get you an interview.

One employer told me "If you have to advertise in the newspaper for a
technical writer, let me tell you, it isn't pretty." Then they told of the
huge volume of unqualified people who applied and needed to be weeded, the
constant phone calls from the people who are trained to call before and
after sending resumes, etc., etc.

This employer contacts STC when she has an opening. Lots of others do as
well.

I don't know your financial status, but I think the fee is well worth it
when you're looking for work.

Marilynne (not surprisingly, an STC member of long standing)
m -dot- smith182 -at- genie -dot- geis -dot- com