Re: Using Color in GUI and Online Help

Subject: Re: Using Color in GUI and Online Help
From: Jane Bergen <janeb -at- IX -dot- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 1995 20:44:16 -0800

>On Tue, 14 Mar 1995, Dan Wensel wrote:

>> We are developing software in a Windows environment and are at a roadblock
>> with regard
>> to certain field attributes. The windows we are creating follow Windows
>> standards with regard to gray background, white boxes, black labels, etc.
>> However, we want to distinguish mandatory fields and fields that have been
>> edited on certain windows. We've investigated a number of ways to do this,
>> but so far, we keep coming back to color as a solution.
(snip, snip)

Whoa....we've had some pretty traumatic color experiences in our
beta trials because the color setups on the end users' machines can
vary widely. Just because it looks one color on your machine, doesn't
mean it will look the same on another machine.

Also, consider that monochrome monitors and some laptop computers
will not recognize your colors. And what about people who are unable
to distinguish colors (aka "color blindness").

To sum up, color is nice and certainly should be considered, but be
careful of making color-dependent interfaces.

Just my two cents....

Jane Bergen