Re: Using Color in GUI and Online Help

Subject: Re: Using Color in GUI and Online Help
From: RoseCrowe <ncrowe -at- PRIMENET -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 1995 14:28:59 -0700

On Tue, 14 Mar 1995, Dan Wensel wrote:

> We are developing software in a Windows environment and are at a roadblock
> with regard
> to certain field attributes. The windows we are creating follow Windows
> standards with regard to gray background, white boxes, black labels, etc.
> However, we want to distinguish mandatory fields and fields that have been
> edited on certain windows. We've investigated a number of ways to do this,
> but so far, we keep coming back to color as a solution.

This sounds like the design on the software we are developing. Our
developers use blue text labels for required fields; all else is the same.
This design was created before the tech writing team was hired, but
the blue text doesn't bother me. Some other things they are doing
bother me, but no that....

> Does anyone on this list have any experience with building graphical user
> interfaces, particularly with regard to using color appropriately?

All I had was a color seminar, not specific to user interfaces, although
I've found some of the information useful in a general way. (P.S. Dan,
I worked with a writer in your organization in the past and I happen
to know she took the same seminar....)

Do you need resources to convince your development team? Our team
used the MS guidelines book and *User-Interface Screen Design*
by Wilbert O. Galitz, along with suggestions from the development
team and from the users. Can you take a prototype/prototypes to
your users. My susggestion to you is to avoid hiring an outside
consultant, but to consult on-line design books and present your
team with options to vote on. This will probably result in
a usable design, especially if basic MS standards are followed
and users are consulted, plus will build a stronger team.

> Also, we'd like to hear about any experiences anyone's had using color in
> online Help. What colors did you use? What was the reaction? Did any of
> your users state a preference for a particular color scheme? Did you find
> that any colors just did not work? What recommendations would you make?

Since our developers used the grey, we have stuck with black on white
for our scrolling region. We use screen pictures in our context-
sensitive help (but not our procedural topics), so naturally, these
are grey, with black, white, and blue. We use pastel colors
for our non-scrolling regions, with different colors for the main
and secondary windows. We use up buttons of a contrasting color
within the nonscrolling region (these are related to our browse
sequence structure). We use a team approach to design and also
get buy off from our users.

Good luck!

Rosie (NorthCrowe)
ncrowe -at- primenet -dot- com
rwilc -at- fast -dot- dot -dot- state -dot- az -dot- us
******
People inadvertently in the wrong time stream need food, clothing,
shelter, job training, and socio-cultural re-training. Please
send check, money order, credit card number, or glyph to:
Victims of Temporal Displacement, PO Box 1995-TLDA42,
Circumvention, CA-AZ 85299 or VOTD -at- circumvention -dot- com
*****
DISCLAIMER: My opinion has very little to do with reality.