Re: Testing

Subject: Re: Testing
From: "Bailey, Doug S" <dsbailey -at- PO4 -dot- PCMAIL -dot- INGR -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 1995 08:51:00 CST

I've had three jobs since I earned my degree, and I didn't find any
of them in the want ads. None of them were advertised. I found
two through temp-to-perm situations, and the most recent was
through diligent efforts at flooding the market with resumes.

>Most authors of books and articles that I have read on this subject say
that
>reading help wanted ads is one of the least efffective methods of
>conducting a job search. The "hidden job market," touted by these
>"experts" and uncovered via dogged networking is supposedly the best
>method and is where the "real" jobs are.

>IMHO, this is a lot of hogwash. Because this idea had been burned into my

I tend to disagree. I used to read the want ads all the time to supplement
my
job search. I came close a few times that way, so it isn't a terrible way
to go.
But in no case should it be the only thing you do.

>advertised. But many others are. So why not use both methods?

Agreed.

Doug

Douglas S. Bailey, Technical Writer
System Software Documentation