Re: Testing

Subject: Re: Testing
From: Deborah Kluge <kluge -at- CLARK -dot- NET>
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 1995 08:45:49 -0500

At 06:02 AM 3/14/95 -0500, Rick Lippincott wrote:

>Regarding job searching, I commented that I found my current job through the
>Sunday Help Wanted ads, and said that it's not the way we're "supposed" to
>find jobs any longer.
>Or is all of this "hidden job market" stuff a load of hot air? What are the
>thoughts on this?

Most authors of books and articles that I have read on this subject say that
reading help wanted ads is one of the least efffective methods of
conducting a job search. The "hidden job market," touted by these
"experts" and uncovered via dogged networking is supposedly the best
method and is where the "real" jobs are.

IMHO, this is a lot of hogwash. Because this idea had been burned into my
brain for so long, I used to feel guilty about reading the want ads, knowing
that this was not something I was "supposed" to do. But, I have found
quite a few good (freelance) jobs this way and have had callbacks and offers
on others that I could not take or was not interested in doing. I know
others in my field who have met with similar success by responding to help
wanted ads.

This is not to downplay the value of networking, since many jobs are not
advertised. But many others are. So why not use both methods?

Debbie

Debbie Kluge *************** kluge -at- clark -dot- net *********** Columbia, MD