FW: Tests to Select Competent Writers (fwd)

Subject: FW: Tests to Select Competent Writers (fwd)
From: Rose Wilcox <RWILC -at- FAST -dot- DOT -dot- STATE -dot- AZ -dot- US>
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 1995 17:11:00 PST

Robert Plamondon <robert -at- PLAMONDON -dot- COM>
replied to a previous message from someone whose info got
stripped at some point:

First Message:
>>I think the point the manager was trying to make was to take a risk to
win.
>>As a woman, I thought tieing would make for a better relationship between
>>the cops and kids.

>>But what do I know! I'm only a woman.
Robert's message:
>But losing on purpose is bad sportsmanship. It's a form of lying. The
>other team is assuming that your team is trying very hard to win. If
>they knew you were going to throw the game, they would refuse to play,
>because it's okay to lose, but it's insulting and demeaning to be
>patronized.

This is fascinating guys! Have you ever read the books by
Deborah Tannen (spelling of name?) about communicating between
men and women? She says that men tend to communicate based
on status and competition and women based on cooperation and
building relationships. Each of you demonstrates these concepts
beautifully. (BTW, I don't advocate either/or as being better
personally. But it's helpful to remember where someone else
is coming from while communicating...)

Rosie (Northcrowe)
ncrowe -at- primenet -dot- com
rwilc -at- fast -dot- dot -dot- state -dot- az -dot- us

Help my .sig file got stripped!