Seeking volunteers to be interviewed about their use of the internet

Subject: Seeking volunteers to be interviewed about their use of the internet
From: Tom Warren <TWARREN -at- OSUVM1 -dot- BITNET>
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 1995 18:23:01 CST

The following was posted to the Assoc. of Teachers of Tech. Writ list.

Greetings professionals:
I am looking for 2 or 3 researchers who are
willing to
participate in a 2-hour interview concerning how you
use the
internet to help you with your research (and
how/where it hinders
you).

WHY?
I'm the usability program manager at FTP software,
Inc, and we are in
the process of developing new software for using the
internet. We
want to make using the internet as easy and seamless
as possible.

WHEN WILL THE INTERVIEWS TAKE PLACE?
Between now (March 8) and the end of March. If you
live/work close to
Andover, Mass, we would like to come visit you
wherever you use the
internet. If you do not live within driving distance,
we will try to
do it via telephone or videoteleconference.

WHAT KINDS OF INTERNET USERS DO I MEAN?
In general, we're looking for people who search for,
access, and
share information using the internet.

We are looking for researchers who use THREE or more
of the following
internet utilities:
*Electronic Mail
*Listserv lists
*FTP
*Gopher
*Ping
*Newsreaders, bulletin boards
*WWW Browser (e.g. Mosaic)
*Others, such as archie, veronica

We'd like to interview people who use such utilities
to help them do
their research (e.g. find articles and FTP or
otherwise copy them
down); get pointers to articles/other research from
colleagues on
Bulletinboards or listserv lists.

It would be ideal if you were currently involved in
research with
colleagues who are not near you--for example, if you
both used the
internet to gather and share information, and to then
write and share
drafts of a paper or proposal.

It would be nice, but not mandatory, if your access
to the internet
is via a graphical user interface like MS Windows,
Motif,
OpenWindows.

We are specifically looking for researchers who are
NOT computer
professionals, thus, Rhetoricians or Composition
researchers are of
interest, as are biologists, philosophers, and so on.
Please feel
free to forward this request as appropriate. I am
also posting it to
the ATTW (Association for Teachers of Technical
Writing) listserv
list.

If you are interested in participating o if you have
further
questions, please send me email or call me at the
number below by
Friday, March 24 or sooner!
Thank you very much for considering my request,

Mary Beth Raven Raven -at- ftp -dot- com
Usability Program Manager 508.659.6563
FTP Software, Inc.
North Andover, MA, USA

Mary Beth