Re: Gauging Competency in Technical Writers

Subject: Re: Gauging Competency in Technical Writers
From: Toni Rizzo <Toni -dot- Rizzo -at- M -dot- CC -dot- UTAH -dot- EDU>
Date: Sat, 4 Mar 1995 23:10:55 -0700

Mike,

Although the American Medical Writers Association has discussed the issue
of testing, they don't offer a test at this time. AMWA does offer courses
one can complete to earn a Core Curriculum Certificate and an Advanced
Curriculum Certificate. The courses are excellent and require a fair
amount of work, but don't require passing tests. Now, the Council of
Biology Editors has a test for editors in the Life sciences. If you pass,
you can add the initials ELS after your name. I guess STC is discussing
the issue of testing, but it seems to me it would be pretty hard to test
writing ability in such a diverse group of people. I like AMWA's
approach, myself.

Toni
toni -dot- rizzo -at- m -dot- cc -dot- utah -dot- edu