Re: Contracting to start with

Subject: Re: Contracting to start with
From: Scott Browne <sbrowne -at- UNICOMP -dot- NET>
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 1995 14:56:30 -0600

Karen,

Contract work is how I got my foot in the door as a Tech Writer. I
accepted a contract position with a company who felt that this would give
them a chance to see if I was right for the job and give me a chance to
see if the job was right for me. It was understood by both parties that
I would continue looking for a full-time salaried position while working
on their 3 month project. This gave me valuable experience.

The 3 month project streached on to a 1 year project and when I was
offered a full-time position with another company, my first employer made
a counter offer.

I ended up accepting the first offer and moved to Dallas. However, my
first employer was so unwilling to let me go, that they converted their
yearly salary offer to an hourly wage, sent a computer with me when I
moved, and I continued to perform contract work for them from my home for
several months. Twice a month, I would dial in to their system and log
the number of hours I had worked.

I would recommend considering contract work depending on what other
situations may be involved for you. It does provide valuable
experience. I know that I would not have been offered the other job if I
had not had so much contract experience under my belt.

Good luck on your decision.

Scott Browne

"First impressions, being the longest lasting, are of utmost importance."
--J. CARTER