Re: Observation (was: getting info)

Subject: Re: Observation (was: getting info)
From: "Susan W. Gallagher" <sgallagher -at- STARBASECORP -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 1995 14:32:16 -0800

from John McD...>
[snip]>
> Sue made an interesting point about the dialog box: yes/no buttons versus a
> "fill in the blank" prompt. It seems to me the problems along this line are
> verbal technical communication problems. This is especially interesting to
> me as I write what is often called "courseware" for lack of a better term.

> Anyway, I can see both sides of Sue's point. (Although I'd love to have
> some dialog boxes physically hit some users in the face...) My favorite
> version of this is the student who picked up her mouse and placed it on the
> video display when told to "place the mouse on the icon".

> Just out of curiosity, Sue, what would you have said had you been the
> programmer?

[snip]

I belive we changed the verbiage rather than the functionality
on that one. Rather than labeling the checkbox "Prompt for check-in
on exit" we used "Run check-in on exit". You see, the programmer
and I both make our living being precise, but in different
languages ;-)

BTW - How 'bout "position the mouse pointer on the icon"??? :-)

Sue Gallagher
StarBase Corp, Irvine CA
sgallagher -at- starbasecorp -dot- com