Re: Whose Fault is the Bandwidth Expended Over Ads?

Subject: Re: Whose Fault is the Bandwidth Expended Over Ads?
From: Beverly Parks <bparks -at- HUACHUCA-EMH1 -dot- ARMY -dot- MIL>
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 1995 08:02:41 MST

John Gear talked about the chaos of the early days of radio
broadcasting in the US, and said"

Here on the net we are almost certainly condemned to repeat this sad
experience if we do not learn from it.

To which Rick Lippincott responded--

Very true. I have not read the McChesney book you cited, but as a former
broadcaster I'm familiar with the history of the times. Most people
alive today are unaware that an entire government agency (the Federal
Communications Commission) was set up as a direct result of those
problems. Following that reasoning, if the 'Net continues to become
more chaotic as it continues to grow, we can expect the federal
government to create a set of regulations that will govern behavior.

Not this year, probably not next year, but it -could- happen.
---------
I just have to add my 2 cents. I'm irritated as much, if not
more, by all the whining that results every time somebody posts
an ad to the list, as I am by the ad itself. But...

John and Rick are right. (As opposed to wrong, not left. :-] )
This has all happened before and we are likely to be witnesses to
history repeating itself. It seems trivial now, and I have no idea
what to do about it, but I see this becoming an issue much larger
than a few folks complaining about ads on one List on the vast
Internet.

No real substance here...just my thoughts.

=*= Beverly Parks =*= bparks -at- huachuca-emh1 -dot- army -dot- mil =*=
=*= "Unless otherwise stated, all comments are my own. =*=
=*= I am not representing my employer in any way." =*=