Re: Left hand side

Subject: Re: Left hand side
From: Beverly Parks <bparks -at- HUACHUCA-EMH1 -dot- ARMY -dot- MIL>
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 1995 13:56:20 MST

Someone said--
Usually, when I write book instructions, I say "on the left
side of the screen" or "in the left-most column of the table"(neve
considered using "hands").

And someone else responded--
How about "Driver's side" and "Passenger side" wBz)

To which Sue Gallagher added--
Depends, are you driving on the left or right side of the street?
Using Driver & Passenger side is so local dependent that you'd
have an awful time localizing.
---------
I think the more appropriate question would be which kind of car
are they driving, right-hand drive or left-hand drive?
(Egad! There's that "hand" word again!) In the US, the
driver's side is on the left, in the UK it is on the right.

The use of "hand" here is not inappropriate, IMO. Afterall, it's
referring to the side of the car where the steering wheel is
located--and the steering wheel is (normally) a hand-operated
device.

Somehow I feel this thread is going in circles. 8-} "dizzy"

=*= Beverly Parks =*= bparks -at- huachuca-emh1 -dot- army -dot- mil =*=
=*= "Unless otherwise stated, all comments are my own. =*=
=*= I am not representing my employer in any way." =*=