Re: ISO 9000

Subject: Re: ISO 9000
From: Marc Santacroce <santa -at- TFS -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 2 Feb 1995 11:52:39 -0800

There is an ISO9000 list you should consult for authoratativer info.

My understanding is that ISO standards started as US DOD standards that
were first adopted by the British and then, with some modification, by the
EC.

I'm afraid I'm not a true beleiver. I work with a number of European banks.
Their position is to NOT get ISO certified because it is better to have
never been certified than to have lost certification. When pushed, they
will obtain certification, but not before.

===================
At 12:45 PM 2/2/95 -0600, Sherri Hall wrote:
>> Would anyone care to enlighten me on this particular standard? A bit
>> of history would be helpful.

>According to one source, the ISO standards were developed in 1987 in
>Switzerland. It (they?) then caught on in the European community and finally
>the United States. It's only been the past 3-4 years that it's
>been a topic of interest in US magazines (if that's an indicator).

>Below are some references that helped me understand what ISO standards/
>ISO certification means. BTW, my company is
>ISO 9001 certified (which is the standards for software houses).

>"Get to Know ISO," CONTROL, August 1992.

>"A Closer Look at ISO 9241," SIGCHI Bulletin, July 1993 (Vol. 25, No. 3)
> NOTE: This 9241 is a specific standards dealing with ergonomic
> requirements for VDTs.

>"The 'Process' of Obtaining ISO 9000 Certification," INTERCOM, July/Aug 1994.

>I'm sure there are a lot of others if you go looking. At least in the
>software industry it's become a "buzzword" people are wanting to read
>about. Hope this helps.
>--
>Sherri Hall * May the road rise to meet you. May the wind be always
>shall -at- hilco -dot- com * at your back. May the sun shine warm upon your face ....

Regards,

Marc

Technical Writer/Trainer
TRW Financial Systems, Inc.
300 Lakeside Dr.
Oakland, CA 94612-3540
santa -at- tfs -dot- com santacroce -at- aol -dot- com

"An idiot with a computer is a faster, better idiot"
- Rich Julius