Re: Amber vs Orange

Subject: Re: Amber vs Orange
From: Marc Santacroce <santa -at- TFS -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 1 Feb 1995 15:25:28 -0800

Interesting question. I ran amber, yellow and orange through the Word 6
thesaurus and got some interesting synonyms - none relating to color.
================
At 4:00 PM 2/1/95 -0600, Carl Miller wrote:
>On a control panel are 20 indicators: two are green; 18 are (not green).
>The green indicators are, of course, illuminated during normal operation.
>Each of the other indicators is illuminated when something goes wrong.

>The color of these 18 warning indicators is (technically) amber. The
>engineering spec defines it as amber; I recognized and called them amber
>when I first saw them. But my editor--bless her non-technical heart--
>wonders about the term for ESL (English as a second language) readers.

>Should I use "orange" or "yellow" instead of "amber?" There are no
>other indicator colors on the equipment, so there will be no confusion
>between these and any other indicators. But I'd prefer to provide the
>correct English (American?) word and include it in the translator's
>glossary.

>Do other languages translate amber to mean "more yellowish than orange,
>but definitely not yellow?"

>Carl

> \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ | / / / / / / / / / / / / /
> / Carl Miller ccm -at- cray -dot- com \
> \ Sr. Engineering Writer /
> / Cray Research, Inc. "Hey! He's not \
> \ (715) 726-5416 carnival personnel!" /
> / / / / / / / / / / / / / | \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \

Regards,

Marc

Technical Writer/Trainer
TRW Financial Systems, Inc.
300 Lakeside Dr.
Oakland, CA 94612-3540
santa -at- tfs -dot- com santacroce -at- aol -dot- com

"An idiot with a computer is a faster, better idiot"
- Rich Julius