Re: ISO 9000

Subject: Re: ISO 9000
From: Larry Long <LKLONG_at_TECHPUBS -at- SMTPGATEWAY -dot- LANIER -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 2 Feb 1995 14:39:37 EST

Roger Legge asked for information about ISO 9000.

I do not profess to be an expert on the standard. However, as I
understand it, basically the standard requires you to thoroughly
document everything that is necessary to produce (i.e. reproduce)
whatever your product is. Also, that you have sufficient quality
control in place to ensure a consistent product. There is a
certification process ($) in conjunction with this.

The standard does not judge whether your product is good or bad, only
that by using your documentation and quality control, your product can
be produced again to the same standards. The concept I keep hearing
with this is that you can be manufacturing baby bottles out of lead,
but as long as you document the process and ensure consistency, you
could be certified.

I have a video tape that a friend gave me sometime back. It is an
introduction titled, "ISO 9000: For the Global Market". It was
produced by Perry Johnson, Inc. I'm not certain, but I believe that
it might be free. From the package, telephone numbers for them are:
800-800-0450 and 313-356-4410.

Good luck!

Larry Long
I don't have any neat quotes or sayings at the moment, but I certainly
am enjoying everyone else's.