Re: Amber vs. Orange

Subject: Re: Amber vs. Orange
From: Mark Levinson <mark -at- SD -dot- CO -dot- IL>
Date: Thu, 2 Feb 1995 19:33:06 IST

Some other culture don't even have the same color CONCEPTS that we do, let alone
words that transfer over directly.

** But I think that amber, nature's dry boogers, is a material that people
should know everywhere. If you write "amber-colored" people should
understand what you mean, no?

1. am.ber \'am-b*r\ n [ME ambre, fr. MF, fr. ML ambra, fr. Ar 'anbar
ambergris] 1: a hard yellowish to brownish translucent fossil resin that
takes a fine polish and is used chiefly in making ornamental objects (as
beads) 2: a variable color averaging a dark orange yellow
2. amber aj 1: consisting of amber 2: resembling amber; esp : having the
color amber
(from Anu Garg's online version of Webster's Collegiate)
||- Mark L. Levinson, mark -at- sd -dot- co -dot- il -- Box 5780, 46157 Herzlia, Israel -||
|| If God intended 1 space between sentences, why do we have 2 thumbs? ||