Energy vs. Electricity (was paperless)

Subject: Energy vs. Electricity (was paperless)
From: Jo Davidsmeyer <jad -at- TCT -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 1995 00:18:17 -0500

> From: Timothy Schablin <timothy -at- ESKIMO -dot- COM>
> We are all too energy dependant. We use energy for everything we do.
> Except to read a book.

Reading a book also requires energy. You burn calories lifting the book
and turning the pages. Energy is burned to provide the light by which
you read (small amounts of energy if you are reading by electric light
or candle, or a massive output of energy if you require the fusion reaction
of a star to provide illumination for your reading pursuits).

> ( Think about the pyramids. What would it take to build one today. The
> Egyptions built them with no energy. )

The Egyptions built the pyramids with enormous supplies of cheap energy
that it would be impossible to reproduce in a free soceity. The energy
was supplied by slave labor. Call me silly, but I prefer to burn fossil
fuels rather than destroy the lives of vast numbers of human beings.

I'm seeing the terms energy/electricity used interchangeably in many
publications lately. Is this a trend? It's as annoying to me as publications
that write as if liberal = Democrat, conservative = Republican,
Internet = information superhighway, and found not guilty = found innocent.

My $.02

Jo Davidsmeyer |
jad -at- tct -dot- com |