Paper, paperless, online ...

Subject: Paper, paperless, online ...
From: doug montalbano <doug_montalbano -at- CC -dot- CHIRON -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 1995 16:39:13 PST

Folks who've entered into the fray so far have brought up some
interesting points about the strengths and weaknesses of paper
publishing and the availability (or lack thereof) of high-tech.

As a technical writer, I try to consider which method is most
appropriate for the intended reader of my work. Traditionally at
my company, it's been all paper (and very drearily written)
procedures. I have stayed with paper as the medium, but I have
tried to modify the availability (could it be made a poster?),
format (mostly graphics?), and other elements (non-native English
speakers?). As my company becomes multi-site and multi-national
(with at least 3 languages), I'm trying to make certain information
available online. Clearly not all of the work I do is suited for
both methods equally well, or even necessary.

I think any arguments about the continued suitability or
unsuitability of paper should steer away from generalizations, and
try to address specific cases. Techwhirlers might learn something
about specific applications that would be of benefit to their jobs
at some point.

Doug_Montalbano -at- cc -dot- chiron -dot- com