Re: Re[2]: Safety & Manuals

Subject: Re: Re[2]: Safety & Manuals
From: "Susan W. Gallagher" <sgallagher -at- STARBASECORP -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 1995 15:38:34 -0800

From Eric in response to Rick:
> Yes, you do have a point at which the contents becomes
> (as Rick put it):

> WARNING (topic)
> WARNING (topic)
> WARNING (topic)
> Procedure step.
> -----Page Break----
> WARNING (Topic repeated from previous page)
> WARNING (Topic repeated from previous page)
> CAUTION (Topic)
> Procedure step.
> WARNING (Topic)
> WARNING (Topic)
> Procedure step.
> -----Page Break-----
> WARNING (Topic)
> Procedure step.

> Unfortunately, the legal department of the heavy
> equipment manufacturer I used to contract for INSISTED
> on all of them. I too think that people evenually
> either completely disregarded the warnings or the
> instructions themselves.

> However, this company was also so lawsuit prone that
> the warnings were essential. I don't know what to do
> about the problem--any ideas?
[snip]
Have you ever considered a two-column layout... Perhaps a 1/3 | 2/3
setup with the 1/3 column reserved for cautions, warnings, and other
usability notes, the 2/3 side containing your procedure. You'd gain
an uninterrupted flow and should have plenty of space for your cya
verbiage.

Just a thought...

Sue Gallagher
StarBase Corp, Irvine CA