Re[2]: Safety & Manuals

Subject: Re[2]: Safety & Manuals
From: "Eric J. Ray" <ejray -at- OKWAY -dot- OKSTATE -dot- EDU>
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 1995 14:16:53 -0600

Yes, you do have a point at which the contents becomes
(as Rick put it):

WARNING (topic)
WARNING (topic)
WARNING (topic)
Procedure step.
-----Page Break----
WARNING (Topic repeated from previous page)
WARNING (Topic repeated from previous page)
CAUTION (Topic)
Procedure step.
WARNING (Topic)
WARNING (Topic)
Procedure step.
-----Page Break-----
WARNING (Topic)
Procedure step.

Unfortunately, the legal department of the heavy
equipment manufacturer I used to contract for INSISTED
on all of them. I too think that people evenually
either completely disregarded the warnings or the
instructions themselves.

However, this company was also so lawsuit prone that
the warnings were essential. I don't know what to do
about the problem--any ideas?

BTW, legal also insisted on retaining ALL of the
warnings in translated versions, which made the company
look mighty foolish in the eyes of a few German
customers I met. "So, do you think we are so foolish as
to forget the warning while turning the page?
Unglaublich!"

Eric
ejray -at- okway -dot- okstate -dot- edu