Re: health insurance for contractors

Subject: Re: health insurance for contractors
From: Joyce & Cordell Woods <jfwoods -at- MAROON -dot- TC -dot- UMN -dot- EDU>
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 1994 14:01:11 -0500

Kathryn Seifert writes:
> I work as a contractor and thus do not receive health insurance from my
> employer.

Just a reminder, you do not have an employer, you have a customer. Strive to
maintain a customer/vendor relationship, NOT an employer/employee relationship.
Your future business health may depend upon it.

> I have checked into several different companies (such as Blue Cross) to find
> out about their individual health insurance plans, but they seem to be
> either exorbitantly expensive ($200+/month for a 30-year old female
> - and that's WITHOUT maternity coverage) or have exceedingly high
> deductibles ($1000-2000 is not uncommon).

The prices you describe are about what we have found. We have the
health/accident insurance available through STC (from Mutual of Omaha). It
runs about $250 per month for the two of us. That's with a $2000 per person
per year deductible. Best deal for the coverage we could find. And
everything I read indicates costs will continue to go up. Scary.

Cordell

Joyce F. Woods & J.Cordell Woods / Consultants
Cactus Software & Communications, Inc.
3151 Main Street NE; Blaine MN 55449-6112
voice 612/757-6916 fax 612/757-4515 email jfwoods -at- maroon -dot- tc -dot- umn -dot- edu