Prepositions

Subject: Prepositions
From: Glenn Crumpley <gcrumpley -at- VNET -dot- IBM -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 9 Dec 1994 13:21:34 EST

>A preposition is a terrible word to end a sentence with. I'd never write the
>preceding sentence in a manual, but I would put it in email/e-mail/E-mail --

Oh no, not this one again. I thought that the Usage Police had pretty much
conceded that this rule is a holdover from a misguided effort to force
English to conform the rules of Latin grammar.

I agree with those who advocate applying a little judgement
and choosing the sentence that communicates more clearly.

As others have observed, religious adherence to this rule often produces
convoluted, confusing sentences. That's not what rules are for.

Glenn Crumpley