Re: prepositions

Subject: Re: prepositions
From: mpriestley -at- VNET -dot- IBM -dot- COM
Date: Fri, 9 Dec 1994 10:55:09 EST

Glen Accardo writes:
>A preposition is a terrible word to end a sentence with. I'd never write the
>preceding sentence in a manual, but I would put it in email/e-mail/E-mail --

I don't have any trouble ending a sentence with a preposition. Sometimes
the construction I'd need to use to get around it is more trouble than it's
worth. If the sentence is clearer and shorter with the preposition at the
end, that's where I put it.

Example:
"You can use compiler options to control the linking process by changing
the type of runtime library you link to."

- from a section of a compiler user's guide on "choosing runtime libraries".

Michael Priestley
mpriestley -at- vnet -dot- ibm -dot- com
Disclaimer: speaking on my own behalf, not IBM's.