Re: Survey: # programmers per tech writer

Subject: Re: Survey: # programmers per tech writer
From: Marc Santacroce <santa -at- TFS -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 1994 16:52:33 -0800

I don't envy you your position, and I'm not sure I can help. The project I
am on has about 70 developers and we have only 3 writers. I am a
writrer/trainer (employee), there is one other writer (employee) and one
contract writer.

This ratio seems to hold throughout other projects in the company.
========================
At 15:34 11/21/94 -0800, Jack Molisani wrote:
>Our department is having to justify our staffing to Management who
>thinks we are overstaffed (when we are actually understaffed for the
>amount of projects in the works.)

>To help support our position I'm conducting an informal poll:

> What is the ratio of technical writers to programmers/
> engineeers in your department?

>Ideally, I would love to hear from writers in organizations doing
>software development across multiple platforms but all responses are
>welcome. Please include if you are documenting hardware or software
>products. (If you feel work is not getting done because your
>department is also understaffed, add that too!)

>Send responses to jmolisa -at- filenet -dot- com -dot-

>If anyone is interested, I'll post the results to the list.

>Thanks in advance.

>Jack Molisani
>jmolisa -at- filenet -dot- com

Regards,

Marc

Technical Writer/Trainer
TRW Financial Systems, Inc.
300 Lakeside Dr.
Oakland, CA 94612-3540
santa -at- tfs -dot- com santacroce -at- aol -dot- com

"Better to be judged by twelve, than carried by six"