Re: MA in Technical Writing?

Subject: Re: MA in Technical Writing?
From: Romay Jean Sitze <rositze -at- NMSU -dot- EDU>
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 1994 08:30:51 -0700

Before responding to this, I would like to know if Tana's ultimate goal is
to be licensed as a social worker--and if so, whether a degree in tech and
prof. communication would allow that. In some areas, a degree outside the
field must be in one closely related (education often qualifies, I'm not
sure about tech writing). She should check this out carefully before
making a decision.

It sounds as if she would be quite capable of doing the work for a tech
and professional communications degree so that should not be a problem.
Whatever her decision, I wish her luck.

> One of the women I work with is working on her MA in education. She chose
> this option because she has a degree in social work, but she doesn't have
> a degree that qualifies her for licensure. An MA in social work to
> qualify for licensure would require her to attend college full time,
> which is not feasible. After a semester of education classes, she is
> questioning her choice, partly because of the time necessary to complete
> the degree requirements (time off from work to fulfill observation,
> student teaching, etc. requirements). We have worked together for about
> six months. She does a most of the formatting of the reports and some
> proofreading. She thinks she may be interested in changing her education
> goals to an MA in technical and professional communication.

RoMay Sitze rositze -at- nmsu -dot- edu

Practice makes perfect--or perfectly awful.
It depends on what you practice.