Icons for Cautions, Warnings

Subject: Icons for Cautions, Warnings
From: Chris Dresden/HQ/3Com <Chris_Dresden -at- 3MAIL -dot- 3COM -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 1994 13:16:20 EDT

I need opinions on what other companies use as icons for cautions and warnings
in their manuals. As background, our cautions contain directions that you must
follow to avoid immediate system damange or loss of data. Warnings contain
directions that you must follow for your personal safety.

For cautions we use an exclamation point inside an inverted triangle.

For warnings we use a lightning bolt inside a triangle.

Some of the compliance engineers say there is no recognized symbol for cautions
and that we are misusing the warning symbol by inverting the triangle.

ISO recommends a triangle for a general safety alert. The symbol inside the
triangle is specific to the danger. I couldn't find any symbol cautions.

Any and all opinions are welcome.

Thanks