Backups and fileservers

Subject: Backups and fileservers
From: Aahz <aahz -at- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 1994 15:18:36 GMT

In article <9411041629 -dot- AA02344 -at- techpubs1 -dot- farinon -dot- harris -dot- com>,
Julius Willis <julius -dot- willis -at- farinon -dot- harris -dot- com> wrote:

>If what I think is right, you shouldn't be working on files from the file
>server. You should copy files to your own disk or file system to work
>on. After you're done, you may return the file to the server.

I disagree. Unless you've got a good version control system, this is a
recipe for losing data. (This is based on several years of experience
in database tech support.)

The only good reason for putting the files local with a backup to the
server is performance.
--
--- Aahz (@netcom.com)

Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6
Androgynous kinky vanilla queer het

Seeking job in Silicon Valley doing tech writing or database tech support.
Prefer Unix-oriented position. Send e-mail for resume.