Re: spoken & written usage

Subject: Re: spoken & written usage
From: Romay Jean Sitze <rositze -at- NMSU -dot- EDU>
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 1994 18:09:27 -0700

To add another 2 cents worth: Since we tend to write what we are used to
hearing, Virginia's comments on the importance of correct speech patterns
becomes even more important. As a teacher, I have often encountered
students who simply cannot understand why something is incorrect on
paper, because it is written in the pattern they have become used to
hearing.

On Fri, 11 Nov 1994, Virginia L. Krenn wrote:

> In one of my Educational Psychology classes (required for a Teaching
> Certificate), we were taught that a child's language pattern is set by
the
> age of three and that it is, therefore, extremely important to speak
> properly to young children (no babytalk, either). So, if people do want
> use poor grammar in their spoken conversations, I hope that they won't do
> so around youngsters.

> Just as bad writing detracts from understanding written communication,
poor
> speech patterns detract from understanding oral communication. When I
hear
> something that doesn't sound right, I stumble over it and then have to
> catch up with what the speaker is trying to say.

RoMay Sitze rositze -at- nmsu -dot- edu

Practice makes perfect--or perfectly awful.
It depends on what you practice.