Introduction + Hobbies on Resumes/CVs

Subject: Introduction + Hobbies on Resumes/CVs
From: Paul Moloney <pmoloney -at- MATHS -dot- TCD -dot- IE>
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 1994 21:46:27 -0000

Hi all. I joined the mailing list from my work email account
recently, but it's just too unwieldy to read and followup from
there, so in future I think I'll read it through News from my
old college account.

I've been a technical writer for the past six months; I graduated
from computer science last year with not much of a liking for
programming, and by accident discovered this field which suits me
down to the ground; I've always been interesting in reading and
writing, and dabbled in publishing during and after college.

Someone remarked earlier on whether they (no, I'm _not_ going to use
'zie' :) should put your hobbies on your CV, or resume. Well, I have
a mixture of hobbies, interests, and achievements at the end of my
CV; details of what societies I was involved in in college, details
of other extracurricular activities, etc.

And I certainly think that some of those (being Secretary of the
College Publications Committee, being a librarian of the SF Society,
editing an arts magazine in college) greatly contributed to my
eventually employment as a technical writer. Plus other hobbies
and interests showed other qualities - I helped organise an
SF convention and was the President of the college Computer Science
Society for four years.

There is always the danger, of course, that some personnel managers
might regard extracurricular activities as a sign of a frivolous
mind. You should be working! :)

P.
--
moorcockdenislearypratchettdelasouliainmbanksneworderheathersu2batmanpjorourke
clive p a u l m o l o n e y "Not _ROSEANNE!?_ She seemed so _normal_ to me!!!!!