Re: Math vs. writing

Subject: Re: Math vs. writing
From: "Virginia L. Krenn" <asdxvlk -at- OKWAY -dot- OKSTATE -dot- EDU>
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 1994 14:12:14 -0600

I guess I'm going to have to comment on this topic.

Math and science have always been extremely easy for me. As a high
school sophomore, I took Geometry, Advanced Algebra, and Trigonometry.
I was the only sophomore and the only female in the advanced math
classes. I received a BA degree in Mathematics and have teaching
certificates in both math and science. I also had taken a lot of
courses in Computer Science. (This was in the sixties when they didn't
have Computer Science degrees here in Oklahoma.)

However, I did rank in the 99th percentile in the English portion of
the ACT college entrance exam. And my freshman English teacher kept
trying to talk me into changing my major to English.

My previous work experience has been mostly working in the computer
field although I did teach math for a while, too.

How did I get into tech writing? My employer liked the documentation
that I wrote for the Computer System that I was working on.

I'll be retiring in less than two years and am looking forward to
using these new skills for writing some things that I have had in
mind for at least ten years.

Virginia