Math vs. writing

Subject: Math vs. writing
From: Jefrson -at- OSUUNX -dot- UCC -dot- OKSTATE -dot- EDU
Date: Wed, 9 Nov 1994 15:43:55 CST

Mike LaTorra said:

So even though I would have liked to
pursue a career in science, I knew that I could not go very far in it
without very strong mathematical skills. Therefore, I chose to become
a technical writer.

Has anyone else on this list had a similar kind of experience?

------------------------

Three years ago I was a very unhappy first-year optometry
student. I had undergraduate minors in biology and
chemistry to satisfy the requirements for op school, but
I kept my English major because that was what I was good
at. Good thing, too, because now I am a technical editor
for the College of Agriculture at Oklahoma State U.

My college advisor, an English professor, used to tell me,
"Be a doctor and make a lot of money. You can always
write for fun." But now I know that nothing is fun when
you're not happy with your life.

Anyway, by preparing for optometry school while keeping my
English major, I accidentally prepared myself to be a well-
qualified scientific/technical editor. Ain't serendipity
great?

Jeff Miller
OSU Ag Communications
Jefrson -at- osuunx -dot- ucc -dot- okstate -dot- edu

p.s. For the record, this post takes me off the list of
lurkers. So, to whomever posted the comment about
lurners the other day (sorry, I've forgotten your
name), thanks for bringing me out of the closet.