Re: "Y'all" usage at MIT

Subject: Re: "Y'all" usage at MIT
From: Randy Roberts <randolph -at- UTDALLAS -dot- EDU>
Date: Fri, 4 Nov 1994 16:44:16 -0600

Hal,

Having grown up in Baton Rouge, lived in New Orleans for several
years, and now transplanted to Texas (Dallas), I have no compunctions
about offering the proper use of y'all (proper use, y'all; an oxymoron?).
Y'all is plural, meaning you all. Being a conjunction, the apostrophe
replaces the missing letters. In this case, the missing letters are ou;
thus, y'all. Not many folk in Louisiana or Texas use the form y'alls
or y'all's.

Randy (randolph -at- utdallas -dot- edu)