Re: Background

Subject: Re: Background
From: Richard Lippincott <rlippinc -at- BEV -dot- ETN -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 1994 11:04:25 EST

Nancy Ott talked about the perils of hiring a writer who couldn't handle
the technical aspects of the job.

It sounds like her idea (have the writer perform a basic writing test) is a
good idea. I've had to do that on occasion, and although I had no background
in submarine nuclear/electric propulstion, I was able to write a few clear
paragraphs and got a job offer.

By the same token, with the job that I'm currently at, it was a new field
and continues to be a learning experience. But, if I'd been asked to
write a few paragraphs after a walk-through, I could have managed something.

What I think Nancy is saying is that you need smart people. They'll learn.
You can't avoid a learning curve, but you can pick the people who will best
be able to handle that curve.

Rick Lippincott
Eaton Semiconductor
rlippinc -at- bev -dot- etn -dot- com