Re: Help file resumes

Subject: Re: Help file resumes
From: Richard Lippincott <rlippinc -at- BEV -dot- ETN -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 1994 08:28:57 EST

Chuck Martin wrote:

>... because (s)he doesn't like putting "foreign" disks into his(her) computer.

Uhh, did we just take PC & de-genderization a bit far? I'm guessing that
Chuck is clear on this person's gender.

While I understand an interest in keeping the editor's identity a secret, I
don't think "his" or "her" would have revealed too much. (Or maybe it's just
that -I- don't have a clue.....)

I think my point is that I understand and agree with the need for a genderless
text when you're writing documentation, or writing about a wide class of
people. When you're dealing with a specific individual, in a real event, I
think it's safe to use the actual information.

It may not be politically correct to say that "All U.S. Presidents have been
white males." It is, on the other hand, an accurate historical fact. (It would,
of course, be quite wrong to use "he" in writing about any -future- President,
because I can't predict the future.)

Am I rambling? Opinions? Responses? Rotten tomatoes?

Rick Lippincott
Eaton Semiconductor
rlippinc -dot- -at- bev -dot- etn -dot- com